Night. Silence. I’m sleeping. Something… something rasp at the door! Fear… oh, it’s the cat, dear, at three in the morning. Doubt: is really it? I mewl the name of the suspect. The suspect answers. What if it is a skilled thief pretending to be a cat? Slowly I open the door peering in the dark, as in horror movies I do not turn on the light but I can’t see anything because the cat is black. I ask him gently to come in… at that point he smells a female and backs out to continue the evening. Instead I stay awake, and I think about a friend of mine that told me that is cats’ fault if I am single (she meant “spinster”). No, I’m not alone, I have a partner! “You know, now I am with a short guy, strange little voice, unfaithful, with great mustache eh, then it is not annoying at all to eat, two cans and he is happy, and imagine, I don’t even wash his socks.”
As is well known, cats love the night. Once I found mine in the kitchen, at their usual time – four in the morning – while they were gazing a pack of plastic bottles from which it came an ominous creaking: a bat was working on special effects. Do not ask me how it ended there. It is nice for cats in summer to catch bats, but since they are living beings I start a complicated rescue operation.
Mission im-possible: save the bat without touching it.
- I hear some noise on the stairs
- I lean my ear to the door to understand the situation, then I open wary
- Identified the victim I scream and hop here and there (the responsible, if it is not already gone, disappears instantly)
- I take a rag and I throw it on the bat
- I take a bucket and I put it on the rag
- I take a piece of cardboard and I slip it under the bucket and the rug
- I try to lift everything
- I put the whole thing out of the window trying to free the bat
- I drop the whole thing out of the window (except the bat, that falls inside pretending to be dead)
- I start all over from step 4 and sooner or later I succeed.
But at the tenth bat of the season everything becomes easier:
- By the noise from the stairs I understand everything
- I open the door snoring
- I grab bat and cats and I put them outside
The cat is a mysterious animal. Especially in the moves. It enters through the door and exits through the window, back from the window and out through the door, back in through the door making up its mind goes back and stops on the threshold dithering, it changes its mind and goes out through the window. At that point, I lose my temper, and ready or not I close everything. Finally I can go to sleep. If I can.